Saturday, June 03, 2006

About test day....

So now I have recovered from 'test day'. I have to say, for the most part, everything went smoothly.. I first did my Bone Density test. It was really easy & quick. The technician was really sweet although she proceeded to tell me all about here medical issues caused by stress. Poor girl..
Then my husband & I headed over to the hospital, about 2 blocks or so away, for my other tests. I did a Echiocardiogram. It was real cool to see a sonogram of my heart. After that, I went on to the Pulmonary test..It was basically a breathing test that lasted way too long.. I was out of breathe by the end of it. I needed water.
The MRI was the last test & the only one I was not too thrilled with. I was proud of myself for not acting 'wimpy' & proceeded in to fill out the papers.. My husband, knowing I would be there for a while, left me & went out searching for food. They then called me in & I thought I was doing great until I saw a woman about 55 or so crying with many tissues in hand, explaining to the technician that she just could'nt do it... she had tried to go in the tube-closed MRI & got sick..
Oh well, me being me, I tried to console her along with her husband.. They decided she would do the open MRI when it was available which was much later..
I got called in & tried to be calm. The MRI Guy there was goofy & nice. He gave me the eye mask and once I was lying down, I got it right on and all was sweet...
Once I was in the tube, he called in on the mic to say it would be 28 minutes for the lower MRI. No problem, I thought.. I can do this.. He played my Beatle cd & I was fine until he calls in in a loud voice that we have to go longer than planned. Seems he can't fit all of me on the screen...my lovely curves. He said we probably had to go another 30 minutes or more.. Anyhow, it was a long MRI but of course, I wanted him to get it right so I did'nt have to do it all again in the near future. If I ever wanted to scream my head off it was after an hour of not moving. I was aching, hot & sticky & happy to go when finally he called in that I was done...I could finally scratch my arm where it itched...I stopped seeing aliens...
Last appointment was with a Lung/critical care guy. My husband & I were walked back to this little cubby-hole of an office where a little, tiny Japanese man who looked like he was about 90 sat at his computer..Turned out he was very pleasant indeed. He asked a lot of questions and wrote everything down that I answered. He explained how important your lungs are in this whole thing..well, yea.... I got the feeling he would be checking on me at the operations but I did'nt ask.. Then he continued on that this was a big, big operation. He said that if someone needs a spleen out they just cut a certain area or if it's heart surgery(I'm thinking, oh my god, heart surgery is major, right??), it's just one area...but with this, they have to do lots of cutting of the muscles etc...& as he went on, my lips started to quiver and shit, I knew I was past the point of holding back. Out came the tear drops & before I got to a full cry thank god, he smiled sympathetically and made a comment that I'll most likely live another 40 years and we laughed..Why do I just want to hug every Doctor I see lately?? Hopefully at Pre-op next month I'll hold it together but I can't promise anything at this point. I mean, you're talking to a woman that cries like Mark Messier, the great Ranger hockey player...He cries all the time when he gets awards & whenever he cries, I always do to.. He's a lovely guy... I cry when I'm happy or sad...I cried when Bambi lost his mom for godsake...what can I say?????????
Needless to say, we collected our stuff & left the Dr's office. Hubby looked about spent & me too...I never so much wanted to hug my boys. And when I finally got home that evening I hugged them real tight..........LY

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»