Friday, July 28, 2006

PRE-OP: The rollercoaster ride continues...& almost stops in it's tracks..

I always feel my heart beating a bit faster when in New York City... it's such a rush! Harlem, Manhattan & then the East Side...
The first 'big' day has passed now & I'm tired, relieved & happy that it's over... It was a bit trying to say the least...
I did my deep breathing on the car ride over while my sister tried to keep our conversation on other things...was'nt easy though..
We got to our first appointment(scheduled for 10:30), at 9:30 giving us ample time to grab a muffin & coffee.. Then we marched upstairs & soon were called in by the Doctor who would do my general physical & consultation.. I thought this would be a piece of cake but she threw the red flag up early & my heart literally stopped........It started when she raised the questions on my family history & high blood pressure...& blood clots....Did anyone in the family have any occurrance of blood clots, she asked..?? My sister & I went blank for a minute or two
& then sis remembered that middle sis had a blood clot after the birth of my niece, her first child. The doctor said this needed to be investigated...several phone calls were made to middle sister & then to her gynocologist to get some kind of information on this blood clotting... The Doctor said my surgery might have to be rescheduled what with the extra blood work now needed to be sent to the lab to be reseached. We only had a few days before surgery to genetically test my blood for this clotting factor. I was baffled & hit hard! I felt like I was tackled on the 10 yard line....close to a touchdown.. I almost lost it but stayed as strong as I could. It was all out of my hands now....This Doctor was very thorough & kind & was looking out for my well being...I certainly did not need a blood clot to complicate a major surgery.. But I cringed at the 'hold up'. I just could'nt have this surgery postponed, everything was in place & I was ready. I was so ready to go....But she had the niciest shoes I had ever seen on a Doctor & I liked her & trusted her.
By an hour later, the fax came through from middle sis's gynocologist about the blood clotting. Seemed my niece's blood had been genetically tested for other reasons & she had this MTHFR factor of clotting so I then needed to be tested...
I was then sent to surgical-pretesting & many blood tests were added to the other tests(8 viles of blood in all) What an trip it was....
Even though I lost a bit of confidence at the first stop where I was flagged, I went on positively, to the next test site. It was my chest x-ray. It was quick & easy & I picked up lost time & Big sis & I ran on to my surgeon's office down the street only a 1/2 hour late....thank god I was here & I could inhale & relax..somewhat...but still this blood thing would have to be discussed with my surgeon to see if it would hold up the whole show.........................................................to be continued....Ly

Finishing up here: I got into a waiting room & in walked an intern (he was adorable) & got my x-rays up there & measured the curves again & asked a bunch of questions to report back to my surgeon......then my surgeon came in & asked some questions & said we needed bending x-rays to see how flexible I am...all I can say is "ouch" I felt like a contortionist... they bent me every which way..& I'm still sore! Back into the waiting room & the intern measures the new bending x-rays...& the
surgeon is back in to check it out...seems I get a C+ on flexibility since I'm pretty stiff at the 'big' lumbar curve so he proposes to go with 2 small rods to straighten the lumbar curve. In that case, he may hold off on going up to T-2,because there's not much curvature up high... if he can't move that curved part much, he has to go to plan 2 & use big rods & go all the way up to T-2 & basically take apart the whole spine....what??? Hey, I trust him, he's the man.....On the blood thing: he says they will take the blood clotting precautions anyway, this Tuesday so the 'show must go on'.......thank god,...amen.....& Exhale.........Ly

ps. forgot to mention: surgeon took before digitals of me & I asked him for some copies of them....so I can let you see my before shots.....

2 comments:

WarpedWoman said...

At least they know everything in advance - better that than a fright during surgery. Hang in there girl...

P
xx

Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»